Saturday, 28 January 2012

Leah's Bucket List: Meet Hanson, Check!

We met Zac. No big deal. You should be jealous!
 
First, let me preface this post by stating that it was written by my inner 11 year old.

Last night, I went to see Hanson. Legit. You can judge me all you like, but I have loved Hanson since I was 11 and I continue to love their music, and I am not ashamed to admit that. I openly love Hanson, and listen to their music. And for all you judgers and Hanson haters out there, who think that all of their music is exactly like Mmmbop, you are wrong! They have at least 4 albums that came out after Middle of Nowhere, and the music is so different! I loved Hanson with all of my heart when I was younger. I had all of their CD's, which I listened to on repeat, I had the movies, I had t-shirts. You name it, I had it. And while I may have grown out of the need to plaster my walls with Hanson posters from the great teeny bop magazines like Tiger Beat, I never grew out of my love for their music. And last night it was honestly like I was 11 all over again and all my 11 year old dreams were coming true. I remember when I was younger and Power 92, when it still existed, and was still awesome, would make concert announcements. Every time they would announce that they were going to make an announcement, I would sit and pray that they would say Hanson was coming to town. It never happened. That is, until 2008. In 2008 I finally saw Hanson live in concert at Ed's (Edmonton Event Centre), with my lovely friend Kassandra, who also has a lovely little blog about fashion. It was great, minus the creepy old lady who was knitting in the parking lot, and was like a cat in heat trying to get to the front of the line as they were letting everyone into the actual venue. Normally, I probably would have said something to her, but she had a pair of scissors in her hand, and I didn't want to get shived in the side. It was a good concert nonetheless, but not the greatest. At one point I thought I was going to get trampled. Being 5 feet tall isn't conducive to concert situations. I was also bummed because I didn't get a chance to meet them (a dream that has been on my bucket list since I found out what a bucket list is), and despite this, I went away content, having finally seen my favourite band of all time live in concert.

And then they announced that they were coming back to Edmonton! Needless to say, Kass and I engaged in a series of furious text messages, and she managed to get us tickets. And holy crap, IT. WAS. AMAZING! They played all of their best songs, and my absolute favourite song of all time EVER, If Only (seriously, if anyone ever wants to find their way into my heart/seriously impress me, all they have to do is play If Only)! They even played Mmmbop and I am proud to say that I still know all the words. They played Penny and Me, Where's The Love, Give A Little, This Time Around, Crazy Beautiful, and finished the night off with an encore of A Minute Without You. It was honestly the BEST. NIGHT. EVER. It was also the best because this time I MET THEM! I MET HANSON, AND NOW I CAN DIE HAPPY! I can now cross that off of my bucket list! Kass, her sister Mimi (who also has a lovely little blog) and I waited, outside, in the cold, to meet them, get our pictures taken, and to have them sign our shirts for 2 hours. Crazy? You bet! But it was worth it! And they were so nice! Ugh! I can't even properly articulate how awesome this was for me! It was just the best. Jealous? You should be!

Instead of trying to get across how awesome this was for me, I am going to share some of their songs!

Here is If Only. Seriously, the best!




Gentlemen, you could learn something from this song!


Anyway, I would say that I hope that everyone had an awesome Friday, but I highly doubt that anyone has as awesome of a Friday as Kass and I did!

xoxo
Leah

2 comments:

  1. I decided to pause The Editors for a moment to listen to Hanson. I never thought this would happen. When Hanson was famous, I was like, oh my god, too cool. Give me The Smashing Pumpkins, Veruca Salt, and Hole. I am angsty, grrrr. Don't tell, but I actually liked what I heard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! This is simply the best! The simple fact that you paused what you were listening to in order to listen to Hanson makes me so happy! I'm glad you gave them a chance, and liked what you heard in the process! I once flirted with being angsty, but decided I like colours and happy music (like Hanson!) way too much! Thank you for giving them a listen! Also, good call on The Smashing Pumpkins! I'm interested to hear their new album. I have a feeling I might just be disappointed thought. Anyway, happy listening!

      Cheers,
      L

      Delete